Thursday, May 20, 2010

Research and Writing

I've been trying to write as much as I can lately on everything from scrap paper to napkins. It seems to be an obsession that will not shake so I just go with the flow. If there is something that comes to me and I can not write down at the moment I will usually just pull out my Sidekick and jot down a few lines so I have some sort of recollection of what it was that I needed to put down.

On another note, I'm almost done with my own self editing of Second Chances, my first story, current word length 43,485. I keep getting side tracked with everything else going on in my life. Work, friends and family keep me otherwise tied up. I'm hoping before the end of the summer I can send it out to an editor.

When I'm not writing you can usually find me doing research for a character, location or job descriptions. One of my latest characters is a CEO for a company that specializes in biometrics research, manufacturing and development, i.e. fingerprint and iris scans. The research is fun but very exhausting.I have to practically learn the basic insides and outs of what is involved in the process so I can write a credible story. Wish me luck!

Other than that, I'm just trying to keep my hopes up that once I am done writing someone will be interested in what I have put together.  I know that there is a reader out there for just about every genre of books I just hope that a publisher will agree with me.

Here is a small excerpt from the unedited: Second Chances

Placing the pan on the back burner Vanessa stepped back from the stove and gripped the edge of the counter. Forcing her eyes shut, she tried to regain her composure. She might be awake at the moment but even asleep her body responded to him. Unfortunately for her every night she had the same dream and every night she woke up panting for him, her body aching for his touch. Damn, it’s been too long.


It had been a warm, humid, late-August night and the thermostat had not been below 95 in over a week. With the constant black outs the central air conditioning unit that had yet to be replaced finally went on the fritz. Vanessa had spent her days in a bikini and a lightweight cover up but even that became too much in the sweltering heat. Thankfully the pool cooled them off, for a while.


Exhaustion from the heat finally caught up with her, Vanessa went to one of the over sized lounge chairs and laid face down, trying to stay as still as possible to avoid creating body heat. Alex on the other hand, opted for skinning dipping, taking advantage of the privacy provided by the tall trees surrounding the large pool


Climbing out of the water he looked like a nude Adonis. She remained still as he sauntered over towards her, water rolling off his tattooed chest and down his rippled stomach...

No comments: